Infused with the bright, tangy taste of fresh lemons, this moist and fluffy cake is simple to make with standard baking ingredients. Adding a dash of lemon extract intensifies the flavor, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top of the glaze completes the dish. Follow these easy steps provided in Portillo’s Famous Lemon Cake Recipe and enjoy a heavenly slice of this refreshing dessert. You can try to make other dishes with other cake recipes!
Want to elevate your weeknight dinners without putting in too much effort? This recipe for a perfect meal is the perfect solution: Chili’s Molten Lava Cake Recipe – Ultimate Chocolate Fix
Ingredients for Portillo’s Lemon Cake Recipe
For the cake batter, you’ll need:
- 2 and 1/4 cups of cake flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
For the lemon syrup, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
For the frosting, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
How to Make Portillo’s Lemon Cake Recipe?
Want to add some variety to your meal planning without making things complicated? This recipe for a perfect meal is a great choice: Grandma’s Lemon Pound Cake Recipe: A Timeless Classic
- Step 1: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together 2 and 1/4 cups of cake flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- Step 2: In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup of unsalted butter and 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Step 3: Add in 3 large eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Step 4: Gradually add in the flour mixture, alternating with 1 cup of whole milk and 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice. Mix until just combined.
- Step 5: Divide the batter evenly between two 9-inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Step 6: Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Step 7: While the cake is baking, make the lemon syrup by combining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Step 8: When the cakes are finished baking, remove them from the oven and immediately pour the lemon syrup over the top of each cake. Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans.
- Step 9: Once the cakes are cooled, it’s time to make the frosting! In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup of unsalted butter and 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- Step 10: Gradually add in 4 cups of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, mixing until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Step 11: To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread a layer of frosting on top. Place the second cake layer on top and spread frosting all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Step 12: Enjoy your homemade Portillo’s lemon cake with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee. Delicious!
Tips for Perfecting Portillo’s Lemon Cake Recipe
First, make sure to use fresh and high-quality ingredients. This will not only enhance the flavor of the cake but also ensure that it comes out moist and fluffy. When zesting your lemons, be sure to only use the yellow part of the skin and avoid the white pith, which can make the cake taste bitter.
Another tip is to add a tablespoon of cornstarch to your dry ingredients, which will help the cake rise and create a tender crumb. When mixing the batter, don’t overmix or it can result in a tough cake. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, and then stop.
To avoid a sunken or overly browned cake top, make sure your oven is at the correct temperature and that you don’t open the oven door too frequently while the cake is baking. To ensure that your glaze is the perfect consistency, start with less liquid and gradually add more until you reach your desired consistency.
You can also add some blueberries or raspberries to the batter for an extra burst of flavor, or top the cake with whipped cream or fresh fruit for a beautiful and delicious presentation. Whatever you do, just remember to enjoy every bite of this zesty and refreshing dessert!
Peggy Ann Bakery‘s baking expertise can help you master the art of making the perfect Portillo’s Lemon Cake. With its tangy and sweet flavors, this recipe is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. By using fresh ingredients and paying close attention to details such as mixing and baking times, you can achieve a cake that is both moist and fluffy. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some blueberries or raspberries to the batter or topping the cake with whipped cream or fresh fruit for a touch of elegance.