7 up angel food cake recipe covers everything you need to know for perfect cake recipes, including essential equipment, ingredients, and step-by-step instructions. With tips for success and delicious variations to try, this recipe is sure to become a new favorite in your baking repertoire.
Want a no-fuss recipe? Give this one for a perfect meal a whirl: Pillow Cake Recipe
The Ultimate Guide to Making a Perfect 7 Up Angel Food Cake Recipe
- A 10-inch tube pan
- 2 mixing bowls (one large, one medium)
- An electric mixer
- A rubber spatula
- A fine-mesh strainer
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (because let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a little sweetness in their life?)
- 1 cup cake flour (the key to achieving that light and airy texture)
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (from about 12 large eggs, because we’re going big or going home)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar (for that perfect rise)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (just a pinch to balance out the sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (because vanilla makes everything better)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (for that extra zing)
- 3/4 cup 7 Up soda (yes, you read that right – 7 Up!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Don’t skip this step, unless you want to end up with a cake that’s half-baked and half-soggy. Trust us, we’ve been there.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour and 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar. Set aside. This step might seem tedious, but it’s crucial to ensuring your cake is light and fluffy.
- With a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites on medium speed until frothy, add cream of tartar and salt, then continue beating until soft peaks form.. This is where the magic happens – the egg whites will transform into a fluffy, cloud-like mixture that’s essential for angel food cake.
- Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat on medium speed. Beat until stiff peaks form. This might take some elbow grease, but trust us, it’s worth it. Your arm workout for the day is covered!
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice to the egg white mixture and gently fold in with a rubber spatula. This will add a subtle, yet delicious, flavor to your cake.
- Sift the cake flour and sugar mixture over the egg white mixture, a little at a time, folding gently after each addition. Be gentle with your folding – you don’t want to deflate all that hard work you put into beating those egg whites.
- Once all of the flour mixture has been added, pour the 7 Up soda over the batter and fold gently until everything is well combined. It might seem strange, but trust us, it adds a unique flavor and texture to the cake.
- Pour the batter into a tube pan sans grease and level the surface with a spatula for a delectable outcome. Don’t forget to give your pan a little tap on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Allow your cake to bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back when gently pressed.. Resist the urge to open the oven door – you don’t want all that precious heat to escape!
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan immediately onto a cooling rack. This step might require a bit of patience, but trust us, it’s worth it to ensure your cake comes out perfectly.
This recipe yields approximately 12 servings. Each serving contains approximately 150 calories, 3 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat, and 35 grams of sugar. If you are looking to make this recipe more suitable for dietary restrictions, you can substitute a sugar substitute for the granulated sugar, or use gluten-free flour instead of cake flour.
Delicious Variations of 7 Up Angel Food Cake Recipe to Try at Home
Looking for a simple-to-follow recipe? Try this one for a perfect meal: Spring Fling Cake Recipe
For a decadent and rich chocolatey twist, add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the batter before baking. The result is a moist, fluffy cake that will satisfy even the most insatiable chocolate cravings.
If you’re looking for a taste of the tropics, add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut and 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple to the batter. This unique combination creates a light, fluffy cake with a sweet, fruity flavor that will transport you straight to a tropical paradise.
For a subtle and refreshing twist, incorporate 1 tablespoon of matcha powder into the batter before baking. This will give your cake a light, airy texture and a gentle, earthy flavor that pairs perfectly with a cup of green tea. These variations are easy to make and will impress your friends and family with their unique, delicious flavors.
Elevate Your Baking Game with These Simple Tips for 7 Up Angel Food Cake Recipe Success.
Using Room Temperature Ingredients: Achieving the perfect cake texture is crucial, and this can only happen if you use room temperature eggs and ingredients. It might seem trivial, but it can make a huge difference in the lightness of your cake. Take your eggs and ingredients out of the fridge at least an hour before you begin baking to ensure the perfect temperature.
Sifting the Flour: Flour sifting is a fundamental step in creating an ethereal cake. The process of sifting not only removes lumps but also aerates the flour, making it lighter and fluffier. This helps the cake to rise evenly and have a delicate crumb. Sift your cake flour before incorporating it into the batter to achieve the ultimate texture.
Folding in the Ingredients: Your mixing technique determines the outcome of your cake. Overmixing makes it dense and tough, while undermixing results in uneven ingredient distribution. The key to achieving the ideal texture is to fold in the ingredients with a gentle hand. Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites in small batches, ensuring an even distribution without deflating the batter.
Inverting the Cake: Once your cake is baked, you must invert it immediately to prevent it from collapsing. Inverting allows the cake to cool upside down, which helps it maintain its height and shape. To invert the cake, use a bottle or a tall glass to prop the cake pan upside down. Allow it to cool entirely before removing it from the pan.
Take your baking to the next level with the 7 Up angel food cake recipe. Whether you stick to the classic recipe or try out one of the tasty variations, this cake is sure to impress. And with the tips and tricks for success included in this guide, you’ll be well on your way to baking like a pro. So why not give it a try and impress your family and friends with a light and airy cake from Peggy Ann Bakery?